In 1961, Mrs. Margaret Acheson Stuart moved her office into the Art Club of St. Petersburg, built in 1916, and began planning the first art museum in the city. In 1962, Mrs. Anita Kenerson formed a guild to support Mrs. Stuart’s vision. Named in her honor, The Margaret Acheson Stuart Society helped the Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg become a reality and it opened its doors in 1965.
The mission of The Stuart Society is to: promote the welfare of the Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg; stimulate public interest and participation in Museum activities; increase the Museum’s general membership; and to maintain a close acquaintance with the activities of the Museum. The Society fulfills its purpose in many ways today. Funds donated by The Stuart Society exceed $5 million, and have supported major exhibitions, art acquisitions, art restorations, educational programs and capital improvements.
Follow us on Facebook!